Saturday, February 12, 2011

I May Actually Finish This!!



I have been working on this quilt for 5+ years! I took a class on how to hand applique when I first started to quilt. It was hard! I have actually used 4 or 5 different methods on this quilt. I was trying different ways to find the one I liked best. My favorite is the freezer paper method where you trace the shape (reversed) onto freezer paper, stick it to another layer (for thickness), then stick it to the back side of the fabric and use starch and an iron to fold a small seam allowance around the shape. After it dries/cools, remove the freezer paper. I then glue that sucker onto the background with a small dot of glue, let that dry and stitch it on. I have decided the real secret to hand applique is matching the thread closely to your fabric applique shape. If you look closely you will see that my earlier applique is very - well, let's call it: "Primitive" looking. (Okay, my later applique isn't too much better). I am excited that I am finally getting close to finishing this baby! These are going on the borders/corners:
P.S. Today, I went to JC Penney's and purchased some lovely elastic waisted black work pants - hooray for me!, I 'm sure I'll be wearing them 3 days a week from here on out...