Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sewing Room Makeover!

Stacy and I took a trip to IKEA between conference sessions on Saturday and purchased some lovely items for my sewing room:

1st, this fabulous base for my ironing board cover:

I have had this fab cover for a while, which is great to iron yardage on, but it was sitting on my wobbly, no-storage, regular ironing board. This is a "kitchen shelf" that works perfectly (at least it does now that my handy husband sawed an inch off the top)! All of my current projects are in the clear boxes, with my 'tops to quilt' and 'table toppers' stored on the lower shelf. I had to steal a lamp from upstairs to make it perfect - now, lots of light!

Here is my superb new cutting table:


This was a "kitchen island" at IKEA. Now I have plenty of room to cut my fabric (so I can sew it all together again). I can sit and make labels or draft blocks too.



On the other side:

Fabric storage! Fat quarters on the bottom and larger cuts above. My old cutting table was a small banquet table propped up on blocks to make it the right height. It worked fine, but again, no storage. My sewing room is the whole downstairs family room, which is great, but no closets.
In case you're wondering about scraps, etc. I have two "under bed" storage bins that I store under my big quilting machine - one for scraps and the other for backing fabrics.
My wonderful studio (doesn't that sound so fabulous??) I have a place to sit comfortably and do handwork or have someone sit and visit me while I sew. Plus- I can fit another quilter at the table at the bottom of the stairs for company. I have been teaching Brooke how to quilt and Tricia is learning too! It's a regular 'sweat shop' down here!
Now, the three-day quilt marathon begins with 28 of my closest quilting buddies coming over in the morning to sew!