Thursday, September 3, 2009

Delicious Biscuit Recipe

I have made these biscuits twice now and they are delectable. It is a "Barefoot Contessa" recipe - Ina Garten (see The Food Network).

Chive Biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 pound (1 stick) cold butter, diced
3/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives (I use the pack from the produce dept - the whole pack)
1 egg mixed with 1 tsp water for egg wash

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix at low speed until the butter is the size of peas. With the mixer on low, add the half and half and beat just until mixed. Add the chives and mix until just combined.
Dump dough onto well floured surface and knead lightly into a rectangle 3/4" thick. (I also use my rolling pin) Cut out rounds with a 2-1/2" round cutter (I use a glass, dipped in flour) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with egg wash.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are brown and insides are firm.
Serve warm.

Sorry no pics, I had one, but I can't find it and we ate them all up!