Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tools of the trade...


Well, for about 45 years I have had quite curly hair. Over the last year or so, it has gone to just wavy. (Hormones?) After so many years of being able to wash and go, I am now making friends with the blow-dryer, the round brush and hair spray! My mom wore her hair in a beehive for 40+ years, so she and hair spray were very good friends. I remember sitting near her when I was a kid, talking to her as she did her hair and make up, but when she got out that can of Aqua Net, I RAN! She used a LOT of that stuff and it would choke anyone within 5 feet! I have always been able to shower and get ready pretty quickly - like about 20 minutes - or 30 if I wanted to shave my legs and dawdle. I used to say to girls who didn't want to go out in the rain, "What, are you a witch and think you're going to melt?" I scoffed at women who would pass up a chance to jump in a pool or the ocean because they didn't want to wreck their hair-do. Well, when will I learn that whenever I judge someone I ALWAYS end up eating my words???? It now takes me close to 40 minutes to get ready - I was late 3 times this week because of my new hair routine. I was thinking I need to start carrying an umbrella in my car! This blow-drying thing may be fine and well in the dead of winter, but what am I going to do in the summer?? Argh!